Children Caught in America’s Prison System

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

When I grow up...

 I have always said that I did not choose my career; instead it chose me. My first experience as an educator was offered to me by the Director of a residential treatment center where I worked as a behavioral health technician. A 1:6 staff youth ratio was strictly enforced in each locked wing of the facility due to the volatile nature of the resident population.  There were always three or four other staff members on the floor at any given time providing supervision, but for some reason the students preferred to come to me for help with their high school math questions.

I usually worked afternoon swing shifts and would spend a good amount of time, before and after dinner, helping the kids with their geometry homework. The facility director approached me one day and asked if I would prefer a job within the Charter School located on site. I hesitated because I did not have any formal college training related to math instruction, nor did I have any teaching experience. He reassured me that the educational team noticed immediately that I worked very well with the students, and felt I would be an asset to the school. I felt like it was the chance of a lifetime and excitedly accepted the position.

The Charter School made it possible for me to work in the morning and attend college classes in the afternoon. I worked as a paraprofessional for the first two years, and as I became more confident with my instruction, I began teaching accelerated math to the higher functioning groups. I experienced so much professional growth during this time, because most of my learning took place in the classroom right alongside my students. I understood they had been referred to the residential treatment to fulfill court ordered sentences as a result of committing crimes, but I also put that detail aside in order to see their true character. It was my responsibility to be, not only a good role model, but an educational ally to each individual student. I was trusted and given the chance to help adolescents change their perspective and reshape their lives. It was during this time that I also found myself. I knew I wanted to be a teacher when "I grew up."

Almost ten years later, I am working on my M. Ed. Program at the University of Arizona. I can finally say that I feel like I am almost a grown up, but understand I still have a lot to learn. I have decided that through my journey I will make a conscious effort to see my students for who they really are and not be judgmental or unfair. I learned this valuable lesson in my first five years of teaching the high risk youth who lived and attended school in that locked behavioral health treatment center where I worked. The residents I came in contact with were good kids who just needed direction, consistency, empathy and positive re-enforcement, muck like the students in the public school where I work now.

I dedicate this blog to all of the students who have helped me become the teacher I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Female Adolescents Locked Up

Female Adolescents Locked Up